We all have those days. Maybe you had a long day at work, maybe you had one too many drinks at the bar, or maybe it just sounds good… But suddenly you’re home and the only thing you can think about is dialing the pizza delivery man and chowing down.
So now it’s decision time. Are you going to pick up that phone or are you going to make a healthy alternative?
I made this recipe for the first time at one of those moments. I was convinced this recipe would not satisfy my pizza craving, so I told myself I just had to try and see if I would enjoy this. The deal was I eat one zucchini “pizza” and if I wasn’t happy with it, then I could order in a pizza.
I haven’t even thought about ordering a pizza since (and the first time I made this was 6 months ago)!
Are you convinced yet?
The best part is that this recipe is super simple – so not only will it fill your pizza craving, but you won’t have to spend a ton of time in the kitchen making it.
Start with the zucchini. Wash off 2-3 medium sized zucchini and cut into thin slices (about 1/2 inch). Spread across a baking pan. Put down aluminum foil to make the clean-up easier – the one tiny complaint I have about little mini zucchini pizzas are that all the sauce and cheese never stays directly on the zucchini. Trust me, you’ll want the aluminum foil.
Once you have the zucchini lined up, coat each one with a small amount of olive oil and pop in the oven. Cook for 5 minutes and then pull out again.
This time, use a spoon or brush to coat each one with a small layer of marinara sauce and add a small sliver of cheese.
Put the sauce and cheese-covered zucchini back in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown and the zucchini looks fully cooked. Then comes the fun part, pull the zucchini out and let cool for a few minutes. And DIG IN!
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c marinara sauce (with no added sugar)
- 1/4 c sliced cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a baking pan in aluminum foil.
- Cut the zucchini into thin 1/2 inch slices.
- Line the zucchini slices on the aluminum foil covered pan.
- Coat the zucchini slices with the olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and coat the slices with the marinara sauce and cheese.
- Return the zucchini to the oven and cook further for 10-15 minutes or until cheese becomes browned and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.